Saturday, August 6, 2011

Sorta Recommended Read: Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow

I saw Magic Kingdom, and saw that this was in the sci-fi/futuristic genre, so I thought I'd love the book. Sadly, I was mistaken.

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom
by Cory Doctorow is about a future world where money is no longer currency - instead, you have to earn peer approval through a system known as "whuffie." While some of the concept is interesting, there needed to be some more back story because a lot of it didn't make sense. It was frustrating not understanding what certain terms meant, and I almost put it down and didn't finish it - a rare thing for me to do!!

I think with a proper back story, and with more depth to the characters, this would actually be a fairly good futuristic novel. Instead, it comes off as a confusing read where there are interesting things that could have been expanded, and uninteresting things that take up the majority of the book. It would make a decent topic of discussion, though, and I'm pretty sure someone could take his idea of the future world and turn it into a better novel. I gave this book three stars on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment