Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Recommended Read - The Immigrant Advantage by Claudia Kolker

The Immigrant Advantage: What We Can Learn from Newcomers to America about Health, Happiness and Hope  The Immigrant Advantage: What We Can Learn from Newcomers to America about Health, Happiness and Hope by Claudia Kolker

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Since it was an ARC, I was already expecting editing errors, so the few that remained didn't distract me from the content within.
This was a fantastic read! There were very interesting case studies and examples of the diversity that benefits this country, rather than takes away from it. I loved the idea of a hui, or money club, though I'm sure that many Americans would be distinctly uncomfortable with it (and while pondering starting my own, I could only come up with possibly two other couples who even might be interested). The assisted marriage story helped me to better understand my friend Roshani's acceptance of the ritual, which prior to reading this book was so completely foreign and slightly repulsive to me. But now it sounds reasonable and I wish I could suggest it to a few friends of mine who long to marry but haven't had much luck with traditional American dating!
It's just a very good book overall that provides an intimate glimpse into the lives of immigrants here in America, and how they manage to survive and thrive while still keeping some of their former traditions. Highly recommended!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment