Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Shameless Shit #28 - Discuss a failure.

As I embark upon yet another semester of my Master's degree in Business, I am once again struggling to deal with one of my more recent failures - namely, of having to shut down my t-shirt printing business. Sure, I had been unhappy in the business for a few months for various reasons (including a particularly venemous customer who seemed hellbent on making my life miserable for something that wasn't even my fault), and I had only started the t-shirt business to one day move on to something bigger and better like owning a brick & mortar retail store or a bed and breakfast. I also had a major surgery coming up that I needed money for, and the only reasonable source seemed to be to sell my business equipment (my medical insurance pretty much bites the big one, with a deductible of $2,500 that has to be covered before anything gets paid for).

But the fact is, I'm not a quitter, and it really hurt my pride to admit that it was better for me to begin working for someone else for a while. It also hurt to realize that in the time I had run the business I hadn't been able to learn graphic design like I was hoping - I had needed to rely on my husband for that, which was something else that hurt the business since he was busy enough working his job and going to school full time.

So as I sit here reading about how to set up a business for financial success, there's a little voice in my head that is taunting me, calling me a quitter and a failure. Thankfully, there's a stronger voice in my head that reminds me that it was a wonderful learning experience that helped me to learn more about myself and my future goals for running a business.

As Winston Churchill would say: "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. "

And I still have enthusiasm! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment