Monday, November 2, 2015

Sorta Recommended Read - I Wish... by E.B. Tatby

I WishI Wish by E.B. Tatby
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I ADORE supporting local authors, so when I stumbled upon this author at a local event in Omaha I couldn't resist trying out her books!
This first book of the series introduces us to Kenza and her Moroccan heritage mixed with Midwestern sensibility. The action starts immediately when we find out that Kenza is tied to a jinn from her family's past and she suddenly finds herself working against a great evil.
It took some work to get used to the spelling of "jinn" rather than "djinn" as I have usually seen, and the story did jump around quite a bit. It could have benefited from a bit more focus and several more chapters to really develop a more cohesive feel. However, the characters were fun and easy to visualize and there were some great original ideas that you don't always find in the YA genre. I enjoyed the mix of old myths with new technology, and of course liked the references to my home city though they were a teensy bit overdone.
Overall - a very solid read! And definitely one you should check out, because I received an advance copy of the second book and it is even better. ;)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment