Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Flop - Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined by Stephenie Meyer

Life and Death: Twilight ReimaginedLife and Death: Twilight Reimagined by Stephenie Meyer
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

When I heard that Stephenie Meyer was releasing a gender-swapped Twilight book, I was curious and a little excited that maybe she fixed one of my biggest problems with her original series - namely, that Bella was a whiny little twit who goes against every feminist ideal. Don't get me wrong - I still devoured her series, they were the books I hated to love and loved to hate. But the idea that a 17 year old was ready to settle down with someone, who happened to be her very first boyfriend, and not just for life but for ETERNITY... well... it just made me sad.

Getting this "book" sucked, because it is only available if you repurchase the first book in the series but with the "bonus" flipbook. Thankfully the library had me covered, because it's lame to make someone repurchase one of your books in order to get your latest book.

Those issues aside, reading the book was kind of cringe-worthy, but still something that is an admirable undertaking for any author. Some of the characters were a little more interesting (like Dr. Cullen), but most still seemed a bit awkward as the other gender. And sadly, there were still many instances that my feminist side couldn't help but cringe - do you really have to play on sterotypes? I thought this story was to put to rest the idea that you weren't trying to be anti-feminist?

Overall - while I love the idea of taking a story and doing a gender swap to showcase that a good story can be a good story no matter if a character is female or male, this didn't really do it for me. I DID enjoy the new ending, though, even though it was a bit under-developed.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment