Monday, October 17, 2011

Shameless Shit #16 - Spend money on a non-necessity or share a financial struggle.

This weekend, I got an email from my wireless carrier that I was eligible for a cellphone upgrade. I'm not normally one that is attracted to "the latest and greatest" in wireless technology, but for some reason I decided to look at phones anyway.

The second I saw it, I knew I was in love with it! It's sleek design, 4G LTE speed, 5 row slide out keyboard.... it was everything I could want and nothing that I needed. I told my husband, and since his line had been eligible for an upgrade earlier in the year, he had no problems with me going in to check out The Phone in person.

I went in, and it was just as beautiful in person as it was online. I talked to a rep - and that's when I found out that I had been "baited" by my wireless carrier - yes, I was eligible for an upgrade, but only if I paid a $20 early upgrade fee. If I waited until November 15th, I wouldn't have to pay the early upgrade fee and could receive $30 off.

I left with a broken heart - it just made so much more sense to wait and buy in November - but I couldn't stop thinking about the phone. It's bright AMOLED touchscreen glowed in my mind, and I won't lie - I lusted after it. For a mildly technophobic gal, I couldn't believe how much I wanted that phone!!

The next day I was still moping, and my husband put his foot down - we were going in and buying that phone, discount-next-month-be-darned! I won't lie - I was a little happy, and a little terrified all at the same time. See, I'm not one of those people who is able to spend a large chunk of money all at once without SERIOUS buyer's remorse afterwards (even on our house!)... ok, I'm not even one of those people who can spend a small chunk of money without having some guilt issues!! So buying a phone that I didn't need... it was kind of scary. But I kind of wanted it.

In the end, I walked out with a shiny, brand new Samsung Stratosphere - and some serious stress about money! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment