Friday, November 22, 2013

Recommended Read - Rosehaven: Rise of the Retics by TJ Lantz

Rise of the Retics (Rosehaven the Hidden City, #1)Rise of the Retics by T.J. Lantz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

At first glance, I assumed this was a book geared toward middle school children due to the cartoon-style illustrations on the cover, but it is actually written more for teens and adults who are able to read lots of big words. I liked the characters and the plotline and had no problem imagining the world of Rosehaven, but I did find the ridiculously large amount of footnotes throughout the novel to be more annoying than entertaining, and there were plenty of times where I felt the author was coming off as pretentious by using bigger words when he could have summarized things in a simpler way. The book also could use a whole lot of editing, as there were many many errors throughout the reduced the quality of this book. I'd give this book 3.5 stars due to that, but since Goodreads doesn't allow half stars I'm going to round this up to 4 because I still enjoyed it enough to read the next book in the series if there is one. Just be aware that if you are someone like me that gets annoyed by numerous editing errors, this book will be a bit tedious for you!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment