Thursday, September 22, 2011

Shameless Shit #26 - Make a Mistake

I like to think of myself as a fairly intelligent human being. I always did well in school, and my friends don't hesitate to ask me questions about things that they don't know because they assume I might know about them. I'm not saying I'm a certifiable genius or anything, just slightly above average.

Right now, I am working on my Master's degree. I've been working on it for several semesters, so it's not my first semester doing this. However, I made a big kind of mistake the last two weeks - I noticed on the assignments that it referenced Section A, B, C, etc. Since I didn't see any sort of section markings in the chapter, I just assumed it was a faux pas on the part of the professor and that she just meant subchapter 1, 2, 3, and so on. But as I participated in the discussion boards this week, I noticed some posts on things I hadn't read yet... and started getting the distinct feeling that I was doing something wrong. I emailed the professor, and felt really dumb when she responded with the following:
" if you look in the table of contents of the Frost, Nord & Krefting text, you’ll notice that they DO use Roman numerals for sections and alpha for the individual readings."

Duh, Jess!! ;) So now I'm about 20+ readings behind... sigh... in terms of mistakes, this one is one that made me feel really stupid and questioned my decision to work towards a Masters degree. Or if nothing else, it served me a big ol' piece of gluten free humble pie.


1 comment: