Thursday, September 1, 2011

Recommended Read - The Little Universe by Jason Matthews

The Little UniverseThe Little Universe by Jason Matthews

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Though touted as a "spiritual novel," this book really can appeal to all people interested in existentialism, evolution, creationism, sci-fi, science, and more!

Imagine being able to create a self-contained universe in a room, and being able to monitor how it evolves and changes throughout millions of years while you are only experiencing days - that is the intriguing concept behind this book. Would you want to learn more about spirituality? Or scientific advancement? Or human nature? Evolution? Something else?

All those views are held by the various scientists and staff working on this large project. As a reader, you are drawn in and asked to examine your own beliefs about life and what true advancement as a race really looks like.

The characters are remarkably developed, and feel like they could be someone in your own life. The situation is made more believable by the in-depth use of scientific explanations - but they are all written in everyday language so that you don't have to be a scientist to understand what is happening.

I hate giving spoilers, so I will just say that there is a fun "stunner" three-quarters of the way through the book that will shock you - I usually can tell what will happen ahead of time, but this book actually surprised me!

Overall, this is beautifully written and well worth the read.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Jessica, I'm really grateful for this review. You nailed it, in the sense of getting from the book what I wanted to convey.
    I'm a fan and a follower for sure.
    -Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this review! I too have read The Little Universe (twice!) and looooved it! Stretches the mind to unbelievable lengths. Definitely well written and worth the read! :D

    ReplyDelete