Saturday, July 26, 2014

Sorta Recommended Read - The Last Banquet by Jonathan Grimwood

The Last BanquetThe Last Banquet by Jonathan Grimwood
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was kind of like passing a gruesome accident that you don't really want to see, but you can't turn away. I loved the underpinnings of the French Revolution as told by a noble-turned-peasant-turned-noble-again, and the discussions of class and race in the society of old. But there were definitely some disgustingly graphic parts involving the main character's obsession with tasting everything (he probably had Pica, which wouldn't have been something diagnosable back then) - and I do mean EVERYTHING. The book is littered with disgusting recipes for everything from cat to human. There is also quite a bit of sex, for those of you who aren't really into reading novels with graphic sex scenes in them (and they also involved taste again, including tasting urine).

Overall, this wasn't my favorite book but I still felt it was worth reading until the end.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment