Saturday, August 31, 2013

Sometimes I guess movies aren't so bad - or, seeing City of Bones

Recently I wrote a post about how disappointed I was with seeing Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters in the theater. I knew it was going to be pretty bad, considering the disaster that the original Percy Jackson movie was, but it still didn't make it any easier to go see it.

I hate when the characters that I've come to love dearly have been shattered when they turn into movie characters, so when I saw that one of my fave series - The Mortal Instruments - was being turned into movies, I was concerned. Would Jace be handsome enough? Can they give Clary the right kind of awkward yet clever actions? How will they tackle some of the magical intricacies?

Yet I braved the movie theater, as I always do, to see what was done.

Surprisingly enough, I was able to leave the theater at the end of the movie not completely hating it! Sure, they messed up several things - for one, Jace looks like he hasn't eaten in years and could use to be much better built; for another, I was very disappointed to miss out on Chairman Meow and wanted Magnus to be a little older and more feline; and finally, Isabelle needed to be raven haired, not sporting the boring brown locks she was given. They also removed some of the more subtle clues toward things that will happen in upcoming movies and instead put in glaringly obvious, non-mysterious, terribly disappointing clues that treat the audience as if they were stupid.

And, of course, the cardinal sin - they changed some of the plotline!

But then there were things I thought were creatively interesting, such as making the Ravener morph from a Rottweiler to a demon, and Isabelle's whip was spot on and amazing.

Overall, I didn't love the movie, but I didn't hate it either (which is more than I can say for many other movies that are based on books). What are YOUR thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment